What is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie? Answer: Absolutely nothing.
I eat what I consider to be a balanced diet including everything from veggies to ice cream. I try to buy healthier options when possible but don’t think twice to treat myself when the opportunity arises. I’m a sucker for sweets, so for the past few years, I have been experimenting with making my routine sweets as close to paleo as possible. I do this because I feel the healthy fats included in the recipes help to not spike my blood sugar quite as much. That way I have the best of both worlds–happy taste buds and healthy body!
I LOVE to bake and have been testing gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes since I went gluten free in 2011. I recently developed the best recipe yet! It definitely has more sugar (but coconut sugar!) than any other recipe I’ve tried, but I figure that is the point of a good chocolate chip cookie! The healthy fats balance it out, right? At least that’s what I tell myself. Indulge a little and enjoy!
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Servings: 12 cookies
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt
- 6 tbsp. room temperature coconut oil (for dairy free) or unsalted butter
- Note: Add 1 more tbsp. if you want flatter, gooier cookies
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (use dairy free chocolate chips if you want dairy free cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix 1cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 3/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. pink Himalayan salt, and 3/4 cup coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk 1 large egg. Add the 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients in with the dry. Then mix in the 6 tbsp. (7 tbsp. for flatter, gooey cookies) of butter or coconut oil.
- Finally, mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Make 12 equal sized balls of the cookie dough, giving at least a couple inches between each one.
- Place the tray in the oven and let the cookies bake for 15 min or until golden brown.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the tray. Then transfer them to a drying rack… or directly to your mouth!
Test it out and let me know what you think in the comment section below!